Labels

Friday, September 11, 2020

Praxis Consortium Ships (Common Art Week 02)

Star Wars has been a massive influence in my life and art. Actually, one of my earliest memories is of Luke Skywalker losing his hand to Vader in Bespin. So when this week's assignment tasked us with designing starships, I knew exactly where to turn for inspiration. 

TIE fighters have to be one of the most iconic starships in the creative universe, and it's all because of their orb-like cockpit. I took some inspiration from that while I was modeling, and quickly developed my design to make it stockier and more modular for brainstorming.

One of the things I've always liked is comparing ships to insects, and so this was a source of direction in this project. Forward stabilizing fins emulate beetle mandibles. Wings resemble expanded shells. Angular lines, spikes, a certain lethality to each ship. 

In the end, I came up with these nine designs. I wish I had more time to work on them and perhaps I will revisit this at a later date, but for now it remains a fun project that challenged my ability to get creative. I hope you enjoyed my work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Anatoles Cathedral (3D Art Week 03)