Labels

Sunday, September 13, 2020

For the Glory of the Empire, Part 1 (3D Art Week 03)

I've mentioned my taste for TIE fighters in a previous post, so when an assignment came to make a Lego set in Maya, I knew what I must do. TIE fighters are a versatile and economical design that actually has more variations than the regular TIE/LN and TIE Advanced we most often see. In fact, today I bring you a little nugget of Imperial joy in the form of the powerful TIE Interceptor: a predator of a ship with four ion cannons, dagger-shaped solar arrays, and an engine turbocharged to give it a legendary top speed. It most definitely needs all these advantages, as without a hyperdrive nor shield generators it's very vulnerable without support or an ace pilot behind the controls. This model was seen harrying Rebel scum in Episode 6 at the pivotal Battle of Endor!

I found a neat Interceptor design in a 2016 advent calendar by Lego. With my instructions ready, I began work on the Interceptor as it always begins: with a cube. Simple measurements and dimensions were paramount to the process since without them, the whole operation fails. Scale has a double importance in the Lego realm, as every brick is perfectly measured and has a proportionate relationship with each other. 

For specialty pieces like this 1x1 plate with a horizontal U clip, a lot of measuring had to go into it as well as using real life pieces to figure out the correct ratios. You can see more of the same with the rest of the pieces that follow. 

In the end, I finished work with a neat little array of Legos that made me reminisce about when I would open a box of Legos and look in wonder at the pieces inside. Next week, I'll assemble them!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Anatoles Cathedral (3D Art Week 03)