Labels

Monday, September 7, 2020

Aztec Castle (3D Art Week 02)

 I used to play Age of Empires 2 a lot, before I became too busy to even consider opening Steam and losing an entire evening there. It was incredible to see how detailed every building was, and the sheer variety of cultures made it all the more impressive. One of my favorite factions were the Aztecs, not least because their buildings have an irresistible Mesoamerican style so different from traditional European castles. 

For this week, the assignment was to design and texture our own voxels and build something with them. I recalled that the Age of Empires art was already pretty pixelated, so it would be an easy conversion to make something from that game in voxel format. As always, I began with a cube. 

UVing the cube was a simple task since it was simply cutting all the faces and rearranging them while snapping. This gave me a stable UV with maximum resolution to work with in the next step.

After exporting the cube and painting a simple pixelated Minecraft-style texture on my UV, I placed both in Unreal. When making my materials from the textures, I made sure to leave the material window looking like this before putting it on my meshes. 

From that point on, it was simply an arrangement job, grabbing and placing voxels wherever they needed to go! Here are a few shots of what my Aztec castle ended up looking like:











No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Anatoles Cathedral (3D Art Week 03)