Labels

Sunday, May 23, 2021

The Silk Road: City Block (3D Art Week 01)

 Nick gave us free rein to choose a project a la carte for this month, so naturally I went with an environment. However, since this is the first time I'm using everything I've learned over the course of two semesters in an independent fashion, I want to make sure that I have my basic concepts and skills down pat before getting ambitious. The downfall of any good project is bad scope, so I decided to go with a smaller environment- a diorama, really. 

After searching around on ArtStation, I found a concept that I really liked by the concept artist Yen Shu Liao. He'd gone on vacation to Malta and was inspired to recreate some of the architecture he saw there, and now I am attempting to recreate it once again but in a 3D format. 

The goal for this project is to adhere to the concept art as closely as possible. I would like to get all the details Yen Shu Liao has on his concept, which means modeling all the little props and foliage as well. I may have to skip the cat due to time constraints, but if you guys don't tell anyone, I won't either. It'll be an interesting experience for sure and I hope to learn how to adapt my workflow for someone else's art as well as satisfying standards. It goes without saying that I'll be trying new techniques, all of which I'll document to make sure you guys can see how I'm doing everything. 

This is my schedule for the following month:


Week 01 (5-23-2021)

- Proxy out basic shapes and block out in Unreal

-Begin planning out the texturing process


Week 02 (5-30-2021)

- Generate materials in Substance Designer

-Sculpt unique pieces 


Week 03 (6-06-2021)

- Make game res pieces

-Continue texturing

-Generate foliage sheet


Week 04 (6-13-2021)

- Finish texturing

- Presentation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Anatoles Cathedral (3D Art Week 03)