Labels

Friday, June 25, 2021

Sprint 3 Delivery (VR Project)

 We had a pretty busy 3rd sprint this time, and some reprioritizing of assets and effort. This week I was supposed to get the mosquito netting and some vertex painting done, but we had a more pressing issue come up: Our hill was looking like it came from the ps1 era, and since we didn't intend for that to happen, we'd need to fix it. As I was looking at the hill, I realized that I was missing quite a lot of good stuff from the reference art. Here is the shot from the film that I was basing my cave on:


So first off, there are three posts there, not two. The planks are around chest level for the Seita character, and the diagonal support strut is a separate piece from the vertical beam. I realized I'd made a mistake with the proxies up until that point, so I resolved to fix this and get a more accurate look within the cave so that we'd have the least amount of continuity errors as possible. 

When I moved over to the hill, I saw there was an interesting little buildup between the floor of the cave and the planks, kind of like sediment making a tiny pile across the length. I was able to soft select the hill topology to fake this effect, and resolved with my project lead to vertex paint that sucker later once we had all the assets done. 

With that, allow me to present what other things I finished this sprint: 

The cave is more or less finished barring a couple tweaks, but tonight I'll get a big one knocked out real quick: redoing the hill UVs, as smoothing it messed up the texture it has. I was able to use soft select to give it a far more organic shape to what it was before. Below I'll post the before and after so you guys can judge for yourself. 

Despite looking softer and more organic, the texture is all scuffed right at the support beams. I intend to fix this shortly, and after this is done we should be good to go for the vertex painting and slapping some color on our foliage to finish up this piece. 

Here are some shots of our tracking so you can see where we are:

As of now, there were a couple changes to the deadline structure I proposed on discord: 1. There is no wooden trim sheet; instead we used a smart material on uniquely sculpted pieces since generating a trim sheet would've actually been more work and wouldn't have given us a great result, at least not with my current skills (I'd leave some seams and in a VR game that would be too noticeable). 2. The Mosquito Net will be done by tonight since I was stuck on what would be cheaper: transparency so the cloth looks like gossamer, or opacity so it would have actual holes like a mesh would. 3. The Vertex Painting will be postponed to next week since I was fixing the hill instead and making it look better. We plan on vertex painting everything at once to be able to art direct it effectively.

Other than that, we're up to date and en route to finishing! I hope that with some polish and touching up we'll be looking good! Here are some shots of what the level looks like right now:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Anatoles Cathedral (3D Art Week 03)