Labels

Sunday, June 27, 2021

Bamboo Temple (3D Art Week 02)

 We're a little behind this week but compared to the last project it's not as dire. All that meticulous planning pays off, kids, so stay in school and plan your stuff out. This week I completed proxies of everything and went farther ahead with some pieces as I experimented with modularity, but before I get ahead of myself I want to explain what I did at the very beginning of the week. Previously, I'd thought that I'd have to sculpt an entirely unique centerpiece for the skull to rest on, which meant that I'd have to not only sculpt the skull but also the giant trunk and all the tongues of palm fronds hanging from it. 

Definitely not an enticing prospect. 

Instead, Nick gave me some advice and told me to make each individual frond and set dress it that way. However, since we're not dummies here I made one of each variant frond I saw and then imported them into Ue4 with the intent to duplicate them: essentially giving myself a "build your own massive bamboo trunk" lego kit. Of course, this process was a bit time consuming, but ultimately it'll be super worth it as all I have to do from now on is change one texture and they all update the new changes.

Another area where we stumbled a bit and sapped a good amount of time was setting up the project in Unreal. Of course, this is something you do at the very beginning of the piece, so I was glad to get it out of the way. By overlaying Pureref with my viewport and messing with the cinematic camera's settings, I was able to get a very close replication of the concept art's perspective and focal length, which allowed me to easily set dress the scene. 

Now, I should warn you that I'll be updating this post as we speak because while the assets are made, they aren't placed. It doesn't look impressive right now but it will soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Anatoles Cathedral (3D Art Week 03)