Labels

Monday, October 5, 2020

Portable ATM, Part 2 (3D Art Week 06)

This week our assignment took us back to our lovely crates, this time with the intent to drive up the detail and make them look spectacular! However, we'd have a special surprised saved up for them at the end.

The first thing to do was, of course, to get the crate mesh into Zbrush to begin messing with it. After making my crate a Dynamesh, I worked around it adding whatever detail I could, from rivet holes to scuff marks and weathering on the edges. 


Next, I took the incredibly high poly model and decimated it. For this asset, I chose to leave 20% of the initial polygons, and exported it out. Upon doing that, I had all the files I needed to take the model to the next level: baking normal maps.


First, I would need a workable set of UV's. Instead of UVing the absolute topological mess that is the high poly model, I UV'd the low poly version I started with. The UV's were crisp and manageable, something that wouldn't have been possible with the Zbrush export- at least, not without spending far more time than I had on it. 


Finally, we take our clean, UVd mesh into Substance Painter and bring in the high poly version as a bake! Within minutes, the low poly model has a fantastic amount of detail, and the poly count is spared a couple thousand polygons that the engine does not have to render anymore.


Here is a closer look at the crate at this stage. Next week, I'll texture it!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Anatoles Cathedral (3D Art Week 03)