Labels

Thursday, October 22, 2020

Gribeauval 12 Pounder Cannon (3D Art Week 08)

 Boot camp is over, and our first assignment is to make a cannon with very detailed surfaces and materials. Nick gave us a cannon tutorial he made, but allowed us to push the cannon as far as we wish so long as we complete it. Given that this is a learning exercise, I decided not to go too wild with it and instead base my research on a realistic design. 

I'm a big fan of the Napoleonic era and the artillery used during that time period was iconic for its lightweight designs that didn't sacrifice firepower. The French used a new Gribeauval system for cannon classification; this standardized the cannons in an efficient way and helped the French armies achieve the victories they did. 


Here are some references of a 12 pounder cannon. I intend on reproducing it closely while adding some flair and details to give it character.


I also intend on making the piece part of a diorama set in the French countryside, and this will involve vegetation and miscellaneous items. However, for this week I decided to focus more on the cannon itself than the peripheral geometry. As such, I began modeling just the 12 pounder. 


I modeled everything in pieces, which allowed me greater freedom when modeling and decorating. I snapped axes to the center point and around the axles to pose the cannon once the overall body and details were done to avoid modeling at an awkward angle. 

Finally, this is the end result in Unreal 4! Next week I'll add more detail and surrounding objects!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Anatoles Cathedral (3D Art Week 03)