Labels

Monday, March 8, 2021

Starfish Organic Character (3D Art Week 1)

 For this week's assignment I was tasked with creating an organic character model. I'm primarily an environmental modeler, but I've done busts in Maya before and found them pretty fun. Faces are great to model! However, this would be my first foray into sculpting a fully fleshed character with Zbrush, so it'll be interesting for sure. 

This is the character concept I was given, a pirate starfish drawn by the talented Daniela Diaz-Rivera. I'm not wonderful at making feminine, smooth characters and have more success making grotesques, so this was a welcome challenge!


In fact, it was interesting enough to fashion a pirate hat for her. It was surprisingly easy and looked decent enough to take into ZBrush! The method I used was box modeling, although taking shapes and dynameshing them would've been a much faster method. However, the benefit of box modeling a character out is that, depending on how crazy I get with the sculpt, I'll have the beginning of a game res mesh when I come back with the hi res geometry.



Here's how I got the curved look on her tentacles. I simply made a straight tentacle and used lattices to bend them whichever way I wanted. 


And here's the dynameshed character! All I did was merge a couple components and set up polygroups, like you see down below. This is so that texturing becomes infinitely easier and I don't have to paint around the seams or have sloppy coloring. However, before that happens, I have to finish sculpting. I've got some details planned out, like a mottled skin texture and some protrusions along her shoulders, as well as a series of suckers on her back to finish off that starfish look.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Anatoles Cathedral (3D Art Week 03)