Labels

Monday, September 28, 2020

Portable ATM (3D Art Week 05)

 This week we begin our slow descent into complex modeling and all the wonderful complications that brings. For our first try, we were tasked with making a crate, or crate-like object, and utilize the production pipeline we'd been taught. As such, my first step was (besides getting a reference!) to find a proper scale and begin from there. I decided to go with something sci-fi and slightly complex, and this design called out to me because of the big hologram on top. This reference image shows a medkit of sorts, but I imagined my crate to have a dollar sign instead of a cross- a box that bestows cold hard cash to whoever finds it!


Here we see the scale reference I used- the Unreal 4 dummy. The box barely goes up to his knees, which means it has roughly the size of any regular crate found in videogames. This also makes it very easy to stack- just turn off the hologram first!

I started with a very basic shape to outline the limits of the mesh. Once this was done, I made a hasty UV so Unreal's lights wouldn't freak out, and then exported my quick proxy shape to the game engine. I walked the dummy over to the box for a size comparison.


Once the pipeline was established, it was then time to finish modeling out the rough details of the crate. I used some booleans for the sides and fixed the topology issues they brought, and then used the extrude tool liberally to carve the shape out of the mesh. Once I was satisfied with the rough shape of the box, I reimported it back to Unreal and added some lighting to show off the surface! Next week I'll add in some final detailing and textures, along with an actual hologram instead of just a transparent orb.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Saint Anatoles Cathedral (3D Art Week 03)